Since I started my business, I have been encouraging all my clients to have a blog and invest time in it as part of their business efforts.
Some of my clients wondered why it was important. Others found the idea of it a bit daunting while others embraced it full forced, and they have since experienced many of the benefits of blogging.
Although there are many reasons why having a blog is important, I will focus on what I consider to be the top 5:
1. Position your company as a thought leader in your industry. By writing about your services, products and what is happening in your industry, you are positioning your company as an expert in the field.
Remember to share, now and then, some industry tips as well to help those starting in the same field. You may feel as if you are giving away those skills that took you so long to acquire, but don't be afraid of the competition. Your company, your brand, and most importantly yourself and the service that you offer are UNIQUE and cannot be replicated.
2. Rank higher in Google searches. The more content you create and share, the higher your site will rank in Google searches. An important aspect to keep in mind is to write quality content that is relevant to your audience. The content must also be written having SEO (search engine optimisation) in mind. Where appropriate, use long-tail keywords (or keyword phrases) that your audience will most likely be typing in when searching for the content you are writing about.
It is of utmost importance to understand how your audience consumes information and how they search for it. In a way, consumers are selfish in the sense that they will only consume what we are interested in, and it will need to add some value to their lives in one way or another.
3. Attract new leads for your business. When you blog, people all over the world will have instant access to what you are sharing. By promoting the content that you create in the way that works best for your business, you will be reaching a wide audience and hence, this will increase your chances to attract new leads. A way to do this is by promoting you posts using your social media channels or your newsletter. You may also consider using paid advertising to reach a wider audience. By having a clear ‘call to action’ as part of the post, you will be increasing your chances to get new clients.
4. A blog becomes a powerful channel in itself, to share what you do, promote what you sell and make your site a vibrant and dynamic place by allowing people to contribute with their opinions. The reality is that the content on most websites, unless you are in the e-commerce space, is rather static for most of the time. A blog allows you to make your site more vibrant and lively by providing different content in different formats (video, photographs, etc.), on a frequent basis.
5. It enriches the relationship with your clients and leads to advocacy. By using your blog to create content that will benefit and empower your clients and their businesses, you are providing added value to the services that you already give them. This added value nurtures relationships with clients and in many cases leads to advocacy for your business.